Friday, August 15, 2008

Top 10 Lunchboxes of All-Time

As a young man in 1st through 6th grade I had the opportunity to see a lot of lunchboxes. I always thought they were so cool. My mom stopped buying them for me when I kept dropping the thermoses and breaking the core (remember they were made of fine glass?). So I was "brown bag guy." That didn't keep me from admiring all of the different lunchboxes though.

Listed below are ten of my favorite lunchboxes from that period.





1. I so loved (and still do) Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang.


2. Superman is my favorite now. But back in the day, Batman was everything! BTW, what was Robin good for? He had no super powers. He was a total "yes" man to the Batman. Pretty good brown noser if you ask me. That must have infuriated the other super heroes that wanted to work with Batman. I'm sure there were rumors.


3. What could be more manly than adoring a British kid with a golden flute named Freddy. I'm not sure why this resonated with me but it did. (Ok...it still does).




4. Superman is the best!


5. Nothing can compare to Warner Bros cartoons.




6. What could be more exhilarating than watching a stumpy red-headed bass player and some dude with long feathered back hair singing, "Heyyyyyyyyy, I think I love youuuuuuu."


7. Some people were Addams Family some people were Munsters. I was a Munster.




8. Really, who could harmonize better than the Osmond Brothers? I was a closet Osmond lover. At home I had "16 Magazine" and "Tigerbeat" and I'd read about the Osmonds, The Partridge Family and others but at school I'd admit that to know one. Kind of like Barry Manilow now. Ooops.


9. Saturday mornings had the best cartoons. Sunday mornings had the one-off shows like Rocky and Bullwinkle, HR Puffenstuf, Davey and Goliath and Gumby. I like all of them. The Rocky and Bullwinkle show was such a variety with, Fractured Fairytales, Peabody and Sherman and Dudley Do-Right. I'm entertained by it today.


10. I learned all of my letters and numbers from this show. I also learned to say "Agua", "Hola" and "El Guapo esta aqui" from this show. Very entertaining!


















7 comments:

Jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy said...

Haha! I like your theory about Robin. What WAS he good for??

When I was little I really liked He-Man, so I had his lunchbox. Although I really admired He-Man I was embarrassed when I took my lunchbox to school. Looking back on it years later I can't specifically remember why I was so embarrassed.
If you think about it, I was just toting around a picture of a very muscular, mostly nude man(except the loin cloth and sword) which happened to be on my lunchbox.
Yeah, I think that's why.

Jessumca said...

I love looking at those lunch boxes. I liked all of them. Also i thought Robin was a stupid "yes-man" too

Anonymous said...

haha: el guapo etsa aqui?? dad.. you learned THAT?! off sesamie street?? haha. good one.

Becka said...

My fav lunch boxes were the Smurfs and Strawberry Shortcake. Oh, those were the days.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, decorated lunch boxes. What a weird phenomenon. I had a Star Wars one when I was a kid. That was my favorite. Boy, those things smelled bad after a couple of weeks, though.

I definitely remember learning "agua" from Sesame Street. For some reason, they really pounded that one into us kids. They'd always show some kid drinking from a water fountain while they said "agua" over and over. I must have seen that play out about a thousand times.

And geez, everyone, cut Robin some slack. He is the "Boy Wonder" you know.

Sonja said...

haha. haha. I'm just laughing and that's it.